Monday, September 19, 2011

New Clerk of Session

September is a month of beginnings, so it seems only appropriate that our five new elders were inducted on a September Sunday. 
 As well as nearly doubling the size of the session, we also welcomed our new clerk of session, Jean Strong. 

Of course, I had to interview her. <g>
Q.  What is the role of clerk of Session
A.  The clerk records minutes of all meetings and maintains the
       official binder for presbytery.  Answers all correspondence . 
       Makes sure there is a written record of decisions and actions

       so that everyone knows what was said and done. Tracks and
       records changes to "The Book of Forms."  Every elder is 
       given a "Book of Forms" when they come onto the session
       but it is constantly being updated.
       
Q.  What are your goals for your term as clerk?
A.   I hope the session is active.  Presbyterians have a reputation
       for sitting in committee and talking about things but not doing.
       I hope that we can make decisions and then act on them.
       I also hope that the lines of communication will be open.  I
       urge congregants to take up any concerns with their elders, or
       with me or with the minister.  Nothing is too small or unimport-
       ant.  If something matters to you, it matters to session.

Q.  How long have you been at SPPC?
A.  About twenty years.  I've been on session for twelve and in the
      choir for about the same length of time.  I've served on the
      worship committee, the stewardship committee, the Garden of
       Remembrance committee and the Leading with Care program.

Q.  What prompted you to accept the role of Clerk of Session?
A.  I'd been thinking about it for some time, the role has been
      filled on an interim basis lately, but it was Irwin's sermon on
      saying yes to God that helped me make the decision. 

Q.  Anything else?
A.  I'm really looking forward to the job.  I'll study hard to be up
      to speed on church governance and to facilitating the work of
      Session, but I won't be at the church 24/7.  It is important for
      volunteers to nurture their own spirits and for that I need time
      for myself, too.  Then I can come to the work refreshed and
       ready.

Jean has been married to Jim for 58 years.  They have two children and three grandchildren.  She loves to spend time in the garden, hosting dinner parties and decorating her home.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment