Monday, July 20, 2015

Little Golden Book

By Martha McCracken



 The other day in the grocery store, of all places, I spotted a book that I knew I had to have:

 Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book, by Diane E. Muldrow c. 2013


 Just looking at the cover illustration of a woman, dressed in a fifties era red dress, holding a wee puppy ("The Poky Little Puppy"! ) made me feel nostalgic for the days of childhood when life and its rules seemed a lot simpler.  Not easier, mind you, just not as complex as they may seem nowadays.

 So, I bought the book!  At $10.99 it seemed like a deal.  And it was. 

 As I paged through the book at home, I revelled in the calming and straightforward messages, the charming pictures of children, occasionally adults, and all manner of creatures from the animal  and animated kingdom, all culled from the Little Golden Books of the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s.  Many of you may remember Tootle the train engine,  The Three Bears, I am a Bunny, The Saggy Baggy Elephant, and others.

 And the captions are positive and life affirming:  Stay curious, use your imagination, break bread together, cultivate contentment, give thanks, let your children know you love them ...
 Sound familiar?

 I have read through this gem several times and shared it with friends, who also delighted in seeing old favourites again, and appreciating even more the life lessons learned when we were younger.  There has been a lot of laughter.

 As noted on page 16 of the book, under an illustration of a baby elephant floating on its back and spouting water, "The simplest things are often the most fun!"

 And yes, I did proudly print my name on the inside cover, proclaiming that

      This Little Golden Book belongs to
                       MARTHA


Ed. Note:  Thanks to Martha for sharing her Golden Gem.  We had a 72nd wedding anniversary at the church recently.  I expect Doris and Royce practised a few of the golden messages in their long and happy marriage.





Congratulations Royce and Doris, and thanks to Felicity for sharing her pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment