Monday, September 17, 2018

Memories of Camp Imodene

by Rebekah Cunningham


Have you ever found a place that just feels like home? Somewhere that no matter the day or people feels comfortable and welcoming? A place that brings joy and excitement when you return? For me, Camp Imadene is that place.


This summer, I had the chance to participate in three separate weeks of camp all of which had their very own outcome and lessons. For many years now, our family has been involved with Intermediate 2, a week for children in grades 5-7. As I have served in other positions at this week in previous years, I went into the summer certain that I would lead a cabin of girls. One week, one cabin, that was it. Unbeknownst to me, God had greater plans.


Because I had already applied for the Intermediate camp, I was receiving emails from Imadene asking for volunteers for other weeks. As I received them, I promptly dismissed them. Except for one. Camp Imadene was desperately scrambling for volunteers for Junior camp during the first week of summer. I decided to apply. I arrived at camp, completely oblivious to the challenge ahead of me. In this first week, I met girls from a large variety of backgrounds. Some filled with the spirit of God and others who had never heard of Him. Throughout the week I was able to share stories from the Bible and spend time in prayer with each of the girls. By the end of the week, despite being completely drained of energy, I felt full with the Holy Spirit and an excitement to continue to share God.


When I returned, three weeks later, for the intermediate camp I was beyond excited about what the week would hold. Every day of the week I felt blessed by the joy that my campers brought me and loved sharing stories and answering questions that arose. As part of the camp, any camper that arrives without a Bible has the opportunity to be gifted one. My co-cabin leader and I handed out six Bibles during that week and sent the girls away excited to learn more. By the end of the week, I was not ready to let the girls go and for camp to be over. These 12 girls had brought me so much joy that I was not prepared to go back to normal life.


The last week I participated in was different because instead of serving I was a camper. As I had started my summer at camp, I felt that ending it at camp would be a suitable way to close it.  It really was. The distraction it provided, the friendships it solidified and the advice that was shared with me by my cabin leaders are all things I will forever be grateful for.


Although this summer has only recently ended and Camp Imadene has only just begun their planning for the 2019 summer, I am already excited to see the opportunities that the Lord places in front of me to serve at this incredible camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment