Monday, October 1, 2018

Go to the Source

I grew up with the iconic television series, “Perry Mason.” starring Raymond BurrIt came on an hour past our bedtime, but if we got into our pyjamas and stayed very quiet and unobtrusive, we could usually stay up and watch.  I really wanted to be Della.
So, when I saw a classic movie channel showing a 1930’s film of Perry Mason, I tuned in to watch.  I thought it would be fun to see another actor in the role.
I was astounded.  The Perry Mason in the movie was nothing like the one portrayed by Raymond Burr.  This Perry moonlighted as a chef in a fancy restaurant.  He spent his off hours attending swanky parties and was a bit of a womanizer.  Long-suffering Della wasn’t even invited.
What?!!!
I set out to find the real Perry Mason.  It took some time, but I finally found one of the books by Erle Stanley Gardner. I settled down to discover the character as written by the author. 


We do somewhat the same thing in Bible Study.  Often we think we know what the Bible says - Christian teaching has been part of our culture for generations - but mistakes can creep in. Factions of society may over-emphasize parts of the message and ignore others. Well-meaning people may mix popular myths into the scriptures. If you care about what the Bible says and what it means to your life, check your sources.
This session we will study the Book of Isaiah. Wednesdays at 9:30 am or 6:30 pm. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment