Monday, June 7, 2021

Celebrate!

California Lilac at SPPC

 Link to our live-streamed service is here.


 This is a week for celebration.   Barb C. turns 104! I'd love to see a   cake with 104 candles but so long   as COVID restrictions are in   place,  we'll have to make do with   this photo.


Frank is turning 95, quite an age. Too bad he's sharing billing with Barb.

We have further reason for celebration. Dr. Bonnie has eased the restrictions on church services, so for the first time since early November, we are allowed to gather as a congregation, indoors. There are still requirements for social distancing, masks, no congregational singing and no socializing, but it is a start. BTW, even if we can't have coffee hour in the hall, you are able to meet with others not of your household at a restaurant or coffee shop. So, if you want a little after service socializing, book a table and meet a friend or two.

We can also celebrate that the new case counts for COVID on Vancouver Island have dropped substantially. There were only 3 new cases reported on Saturday.

In Sidney and North Saanich 77.5% of adults have had at least one shot. Within our congregation, many have had a second shot. I'm booked for mine on June 26. As the cases go down and the vaccinations go up, we can look forward to an easing of more restrictions over the summer.

And speaking of summer -- haven't we had a gorgeous week! The weeds in my garden are flourishing. Linda and Tore have been trying to keep up with the church grounds but it is a race. But, just look at the lovely California lilac in our hedge.


Last week I read a blog titled "We Only See the Weeds." This line stood out for me particularly, Instead of admiring the beautiful plants that remain, or patting myself on the back for blending shades of purple and synchronizing bloom times, I immediately look for more weeds.The post was actually about creative writing but the analogy of looking for weeds is true in many walks of life. This week I'm going to try to admire the good things around me and stop looking for weeds. 

  • Instead of bemoaning the "no singing" rule at church, I'll give thanks that 50 of us can sit in the pews. 
  • Instead of comparing our broadcast technology unfavourably with the CBC, I'll give thanks for our fantastic volunteers who make it possible to have a broadcast. 

  • While I'll miss greeting Rev. Irwin after service, I'll say a prayer for the success of the virtual General Assembly.

When I concentrate on the weeds I get discouraged and feel like giving up. When I smell the roses, I know God's love. 

 For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee. Isaiah 54:10 KJV



No comments:

Post a Comment