Monday, December 12, 2022

Advent 3 2022

 The link for this week's live-streamed service is here



Here we are at Advent 3 already. If you are like me you are racing about getting parcels wrapped and into the mail, writing Christmas cards, shopping, baking, decorating, making lists and forgetting where you put the list of your lists. I just had to leave off writing this blog to rescue my newly-purchased gift wrap paper from the cat!

At the church, the same sort of busyness occurs. On Monday we have Sunshine Lunch, an event for members of the congregation who live alone.  Later in the week there is a worship committee meeting, choir practice, lunch at the Legislature, then a bake sale and Community Carol Sing on Sunday the 18th, not to mention regular maintenance chores and Sunday morning worship. It's very easy to get caught up in the hurry and "must do's."

Last week, I came across a quote by Roy L. Smith. “He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree.  

It struck me that much of my rushing about had more to do with the "tree" than the manger. In my mind the two are not disconnected. Wanting to show love to my family and friends and strangers with gifts and food and support is tied into the spiritual gift of hospitality. Showing love to others is witness to God's love for all, as manifested by the Infant Jesus and Christmas. Like most things in life, it's a question of balance. 

I'll keep working on my list of "to do's" but I'll try to feel less frantic. I'll remind myself of the why of my chores. I'll look for the Prince of Peace and rejoice. 



⭐⭐⭐⭐





No comments:

Post a Comment