Monday, January 9, 2023

Gifts

The link for this week's live-streamed service is here. 



For the past few days, gifts have been top of mind with me. Hardly surprising considering we just had Christmas, with its abundance of gift giving, followed by Epiphany-- when the Magi brought gifts to the infant Jesus. I had a birthday in there too, so more gifts.

Among my gifts, these tokens of affection, some have been beautiful, some practical, some bring a smile, and some provoke a tender tear.  

Apart from the presents wrapped in pretty paper, I've enjoyed the intangible gifts of family and love, friendship and laughter. The gift of memory looms large at this time of year -- joyous Christmas mornings from years gone by or parties of little girls playing musical chairs.

This December, when the news was full of stories about staff shortages and supply chain disruptions, I received exceptional service from store clerks, grocery checkers, and food servers. They brightened my days with their willingness to go above and beyond to satisfy my requests. 

I've been the giver of gifts too. Some have cost me money, some have cost time as I searched and searched for just the right item. Some have cost nothing more than a smile and a few words of encouragement -- see store clerks above. Of course, being the giver is to receive a gift in return. The gift of joy on a friend's face, the gift of an "oooo" from a child, or the gift of a hug from a lonely outsider.



When I began to write this post the list of gifts in my mind grew and grew. I was reminded of Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts. When we began that study I doubted I could count 1000 gifts in my life. But every day I found more and more blessings to add to my list.

At Epiphany, the magi acknowledged Jesus as "king and God and sacrifice." As I ponder my gifts I recognize that I haven't named the greatest gift of all -- Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. 

As we move into the new year, we are blessed with the gift of the Comforter, (Advocate, Helper, Guide, Counsellor). We live in a time of tumult -- war, famine, inflation, greed, lust for power -- hang over our days. There is a temptation to hoard the gifts we've received, to seek safety in what we can see and touch. But Jesus promised something else.  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

We can cling to that promise and face the coming days with courage. Thanks be to God.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment