Monday, July 25, 2011

Summer Reading



by Linda Cliff

Summer is the time to catch up on that reading you do not find time to do during the rest of the year. Recently, I was fortunate to discover an author that writes well and includes the Christian perspective in her books. I have read two books by Angela Hunt and will be looking for more.
    The Immortal is a story that weaves the myth of the "wandering Jew" through out the plot. As a result you learn about biblical history from the crucifixion to the coming of the antichrist. It is a great read as well as a story of the heroine’s salvation.
   Let Darkness Come is more of a suspense novel and is a real page turner. In this book Hunt does not overtly discuss Christianity and salvation; however there is a tone that has the reader examining their thoughts about faith. Faith in people, the system and God. As an avid reader it has been a blessing to find an author that writes a good book as well as ask me questions about my faith. Ms Hunt is a prolific writer and many of her novels look at the hard challenges that we all face in our lives. Check her out!
     For the reader who wants a more serious read I would recommend Amazing Grace –A Vocabulary of Faith by Kathleen Norris and The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey. Norris has written a book about the language of Christianity. She takes words like "judgment", "faith", "conversion" and looks at them from an historical, theological and personal perspective. I find this a book I like to pick up and read when I have a quiet moment. I can reflect on the word, what its meaning has for me today in my busy life. This is a book that will be relevant for a life time as the reader will find new blessings each time they reflect up on a word.
    The Jesus I Never Knew looks at the Jesus described in the Gospels. Yancy presents the book in three parts: who He was, why He came and what He left behind. The reader is asked to look at this Jesus and explore the images they have formed over the years. The book is readable and relevant. I find it is almost like reading a novel. You don’t want to put it down because you are excited to see what comes next.
Enjoy your summer reading!


A newcomer to our congregation, Linda is a keen member of the Wednesday morning Bible Study group. The Jesus I Never Knew is available in our church library.


No comments:

Post a Comment