Monday, August 8, 2011

I Have No Friends

by Peter Waldin

  He was in his early eighties.  An electrical engineer who had gone to the top of his profession.  Connected with the extraction of coal in Alberta.  Sent to various great oilfields of the world to check out their electrical systems.  A teen aged boy, a refugee from Germany, and now a millionaire.  Professionally at the top of his class, yet had to confess, "I have no friends."  I think that these are the saddest words I have ever heard uttered.
     The other day I had the pleasure of giving a friend a copy of hte book I've recently written.  In the flyleaf, as I recall, I wrote the simple words, "To Simon, a gentleman and a friend."  Our friendship is not longstanding and Simon has not made possible any great gain materially.  He's simply given himself.  He understands that I'm suffering great sorrow.  His invitation, "Let's go for coffee!"  And evident quiet sympathy speaks eloquently of his friendship.
    There are others, many others, in that circle of friendship.  My life is encircled by that golden chain of love.  That word I don't hesitate to use; it's the golden path to friendship.
    Friendship comes close to the heart of Christianity.  No finer thing was ever said of Abraham than that he was "the friend of God."  Jesus, before his death, comforted his disciples with the words, "I have called you friends."  Judas had no more bitter memory than the words of Christ, at the time that he betrayed his Lord, "Friend, wherefore art thou come?"

No comments:

Post a Comment