Monday, October 1, 2012

Indian Summer




                                            
Indian Summer

Along the line of smokey hills
The crimson forest stands.
And all day long the blue-jay calls,
Throughout the autumn lands.

Now by the brook the maple leans
With all his glory spread,
And all the sumachs on the hill
Have turned their green to red.

Now by great marshes wrapt in mist,
Or past some river's mouth,
Throughout the long still autumn day,
Wild birds are flying south.

           -- William Campbell



    These last golden days of summer bring to mind one of my Dad's favourite poems.  I can't see geese flying overhead or breath in the crisp morning air of an autumn day, or catch the scent of ripe apples without remembering my Dad at the kitchen table, reciting those lines.
     It's a lovely memory, an inheritance, that brings a lift to my heart and a smile to my mouth, and a tinge of sadness that those days are gone.  Rather like autumn itself, filled with ripe fruit and blue skies, but foretelling the season of winter.
    When I looked up "inheritance" in the Bible, I found verse after verse after verse describing the division of property, the rules for boundaries and the laws of succession, but that was not the kind of inheritance I wanted to reference.  Finally, in 1 Peter I found what I sought.  A description of our inheritance from God so much greater than lands or bank accounts. "An inheritance incorrupt and undefiled that fadeth not away."
     My Dad left me many physical gifts but they will fade, grow up in weeds, rust and eventually disappear.  My father's lasting inheritance is faith in God, love of family and a code of living founded in Christ.  I treasure those gifts from my earthly father, given because he loved me.  
    How much greater the gifts of my Heavenly Father, given because He loves with a love that passes human understanding.
    Praise God for the gift of this autumn season.  Praise God for His unfailing mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment