Monday, July 16, 2018

Wondrous Love

Summer time and the choir is on holiday -- a perfect opportunity to enjoy a guest musician.  This Sunday Mary Byrne brought her musical talents to SPPC.  She played Faure for the offertory, accompanied "Amazing Grace" as the hymn before the sermon and harmonized with Alice and Tore for the anthem.  A nice opportunity for Larry to play cello, as well.

The anthem was "Wondrous Love," arr. by Richard Waters for piano and voice, then re-arranged by Mary and Larry for voice, flute and cello.  "Wondrous Love" is a folk hymn that is sometimes described as a "white spiritual."  It was first published in 1811 in the hymnals of both the Methodists and the Baptists in Britain, although it is often associated with the Appalachian area of the US.
   As Rev. Irwin continues with his series on the problem of sin and the remedy found in Jesus Christ, the words of this hymn seem particularly apt.  What wondrous love, that the King of Bliss would lay aside His crown to pay the price for my sin.  What wondrous love, indeed. Rev. 5


 What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul! What wondrous love is this, O my soul! What wondrous love is this That caused the Lord of bliss To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul, To bear the dreadful curse for my soul! 
 When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down, When I was sinking down, sinking down, When I was sinking down Beneath God’s righteous frown, Christ laid aside His crown for my soul for my soul, Christ laid aside His crown for my soul.  
These are the verses that were sung on Sunday morning.  Other arrangements include these stanzas.
To God and to the Lamb I will sing, I will sing;
To God and to the Lamb I will sing;
To God and to the Lamb,
Who is the great I AM,
While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing,
While millions join the theme, I will sing.

 And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on.
And when from death I’m free
I’ll sing His love for me,
And through eternity I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on,
And through eternity I’ll sing on.

Thank you to Mary for sharing her musical gifts with us.





No comments:

Post a Comment