Monday, September 6, 2021

For my Friend

 

The link for this week's streamed service is here



I've been taking a trip down memory lane this past few days, remembering my friend Joan L -- accompanist extraordinaire. 

We started working together with the Living Flame Choir in 2001. It was a new venture for SPPC and a very new venture for me. I'd always been the singer, never the director/organizer for anything like a children's choir. 


As I felt my way along, finding music, discovering the children's talents, encouraging them to raise their voices, Joan was my stalwart supporter and collaborator.

 Here we are in the first iteration of the Living Flame Choir, enjoying some ice cream at the end of our first term.
                                 Bones
 
Heroes of the Faith





Joan could be found in various places at SPPC, including Bible Study and the kitchen, but her first love was the piano and making music.



Why the Chimes Rang

Not only did she share her talent and time with us all -- she was always ready to rehearse just one more time -- she hosted practice sessions in her home. Her husband John loved to listen to us going over and over difficult passages until we had them worked out to performance standard. 
Her great sense of humour made all those rehearsals fun too.

When Tore and I were asked to do some recital work, Joan was only too happy to play for us. Once again we spent many evenings in her music room working the repertoire until we had it memorized. We even made a CD for my family. 

Despite her skills and experience she never pulled rank, but offered whole-hearted support, giving advice only when asked, and always with a twinkle in her eye. 

My friend moved to Calgary some years ago. I've missed her ever since. She passed away this summer. A memorial service will be held for her at SPPC on Sat. Sept. 11, 2021 at 1:00pm. 
Years ago, she asked me to sing a particular number at her funeral. I'll be doing that this Saturday.



No comments:

Post a Comment