Monday, September 5, 2022

What Made you Happy?

 The link to this week's live-streamed service is here


Chickens at Saanich Fair

One of the blogs I follow has one day a week devoted to happiness. The lead line is "what made you happy this week?" If ever I feel grumpy, reading this blog is a real pick-me-up. The scripture for Sunday morning was Philippians 2: 5-18, a passage that encourages us to shine like stars, to rejoice, and not to grumble. In other words, a happy letter from Paul.  

So, what made me happy this week? So many things, too great to number so I'll mention only a few.

For one thing, Janet M. sang our solo on Sunday morning. We've missed her at church and choir since her life changed. It was good to hear her voice again.


For another, we went to the Saanich Fair. This makes me happy on many levels. I reconnect with my farm roots as I walk among the horses and cows and chickens and sheep. (See photo at top.) Jeans and straw hats bring happy memories. On another level, I meet my friend at the fair. We've been doing that for over twenty years. A long friendship makes me happy. Our fair experience together is also a happy one. I give her produce from my garden, she makes jam and wins a prize. We're in this together!

More happiness on Saturday night as we went to the Butchart Gardens for the last live entertainment of the summer. Fiddles, guitar, piano and accordion playing jigs and reels. In a world riven by hatred, greed, and violence, I drank in the peace and good-will of several hundred people (and dogs) sitting in a beautiful garden, tapping their toes and clapping in rhythm with the music. Under the stars on a summer's night, we lived in harmony with one another, at peace with our neighbours.

Finally, something that brings happiness to our whole congregation. Josh and Emily got married, and shared some pictures with us.



A happy bride








Felicity made the cakes


If Emily's smile doesn't make you happy, you are beyond hope!

So, what made you happy this week?








No comments:

Post a Comment