Monday, July 17, 2023

Guest blogger

 The link for this week's live-streamed service is here






Sunday morning was a very celebration for our own Helen. She turned 101. She looked beautiful and she shared her cake. May this be the start of a wonderful year for you, Helen.

~~~~~~~~~


Our Blog mistress is on a well-deserved vacation so I have volunteered to write this week’s blog.  

Currently, I use my digital device, which is my IPad, during my devotional time.  So I thought I would share with you the Apps that I am finding most helpful.

 YouVersion is the Bible app that I use.  It is a digital ministry of Life.Church, whose mission is to create Biblically centred, culturally relevant experiences to help people grow closer to God. This platform offers a verse of the day and prompts you to make prayer a daily habit. I find this helpful as I am more able to quiet myself and focus on my time with the Word.  

There are also many plans offered, for example popular topics include:  Christian living, wisdom, faith, trust, worship and my favourite, bible reading plans. I can recommend The Bible Recap with Tara-Leigh Cobble.  This was a one year chronological reading plan that when combined with the daily podcast helped me to understand more fully what I was reading.  This daily discipline has helped me to develop a practice of spending time in the Word each day and increased my desire to learn more.

 

The Chosen is an American Christian historical drama series.  It is available through the Angel app, U tube and Netflix in the US.  The series is set in Judea and Galilee in the 1st century and centres on Jesus and the different people who met Him.  The series focuses on the people who encountered Jesus viewing Him through their eyes. 

 There are three seasons for this series and at present I am working my way through the first season.  I think the danger in shows that try to retell historical events is that they are stories based on fact but are unable to describe what actually happened.  However, the depiction of the times seems very real.  The viewer gets to see what it was like for the Jewish people to be under the rule of the Romans.  

You see Jesus in His daily life which helped me to see that He was on earth as man as well as the Son of God.  

If you would like to see and imagine what life was like for the people who lived in the First Century--the oil lamps, the jails, fishing on the Sea of Galilee-- give this show a try.

 

In closing I would like to encourage those of you who read this blog to consider writing an article.  Each time I do this I learn something.  I take a more careful look at what I am reading.  I research about authors, books…..whatever comes to mind.  So hopefully there is some benefit to reading the Blog but I guarantee there may be even more when you write for it. 

         Post contributed by Linda Cliff


Ed. Note:  Thanks, Linda, for filling in and for encouraging others to contribute too. ðŸ˜€

 

 


 

 

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, thanks Linda.
    The video series especially sounds very interesting, giving the viewer a different view on things from Bible times.

    ReplyDelete