Monday, December 11, 2023

Second week of Advent 2023

 The link for this week's live-streamed service is here.




In this second week of Advent, we raise up the gift of peace. Given the headlines, it would seem there is no peace to be found in our world. As an antidote I'm sharing a few encounters I've had recently. 

Everyone knows Canada Post is swamped at this time of year. The line-ups are long. Clients are impatient. Stress is at a yearly high. Yet, on my visit, I met a friendly, cheerful, helpful clerk who showed me the least expensive way to send parcels to Ontario, then she gave me the secret of avoiding a long line-up. 

From there I went to a store to return an article. The till did not want to perform the operation. First one, then another clerk punched buttons and glowered at the dictates from the machine until, finally, they were able to do the necessary functions. My article was returned and I received a refund. From start to finish, no one yelled, no one cussed, and no one threw the balky machine out the door. We all parted on good terms.

In the grocery store on Friday late afternoon, the line-ups were once again long and customers impatient. The cashier on the till smiled, wished everyone a nice day, and refrained from answering ill-humour with a cranky comment.

I've learned to limit my exposure to the news. Instead, I give thanks for these hard-working people who show me the way of peace. I've done my best to pass it on. 


Speaking of passing it on, Sunday we learned the results from our latest drive for the food bank.  We raised about one thousand dollars in cash donations and five overflowing boxes of goods.


They are now out the door, spreading hope and peace to those in need. Our congregation contributes to the food bank year round, but j
ust for a bit of fun we held a draw among the donors. Brian and Meta won this lovely poinsettia. Merry Christmas to you. Enjoy the cheery colour.

Also on Sunday, we had a guest in the music department. Susanne Clark, from Calgary is visiting her mother and brought along her flute. Thank you Susanne for enhancing our worship.


In keeping with the seasonal gift giving, we have a new-to-us fridge/freezer in the kitchen, thanks to a community donor.


Because one good turn deserves another, we have passed along some Christmas wreaths we no longer use to the Salvation Army. Thanks Pam for sprucing them up so beautifully, and thanks to Susanne for finding them a new home.


Whew! Life is busy, especially at SPPC. We have more events coming up, including a bake sale next Sunday. If you haven't had time to mix up some cookies, we've got you covered. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment