Monday, April 8, 2024

A Passion for Worship

 The link to this week's live-streamed service is here.




Christians are admonished to "rejoice in all things." Most of us found it hard to rejoice in COVID-19. However, one of the consequences of the pandemic is that more and more churches have put their worship services on-line. For the curious among us, that has been a blessing.

Now that I can check out the worship at a neighbouring church, I often find myself scrolling youtube, just to enjoy -- or not-- another service. We have had some new members at SPPC because they found us on-line first. So, in that way, the pandemic was a blessing, although we didn't know it at the time.

When the Presbyterian Connection arrived in my mailbox a few weeks ago, I put it aside to read when I wasn't so busy. When I opened it up, my eye was caught by two articles about worship. The first was on the preaching of the Word, the second on the habit of worship.

In our book study on Wednesday morning, we pondered the concept of "a passion to worship."

I feel I've been nudged toward a blog post on worship!

According to one authority, Robert Webber, "Worship is the response of the people to God's saving initiative. The inner person receives God's acts of salvation communicated in public worship with humility and reverence, service and devotion."

Using that definition we should note that worship is a response . . .to God." 

When I'm scrolling church services on the internet I'm responding to the event more than to God. My response is that of an observer, distanced from other participants. I'm more judge than worshipper. Similarly, reading a printed sermon, becomes an intellectual exercise. I'm more focussed on typos and syntax than on the message.

On the other hand, being present in a concert hall soaking up the sound of a great oratorio, or standing in a forest of tall trees and hearing the wind brush their branches, or experiencing the might of a storm, with its flashes of lightening and rolling thunder, do provoke a worship response. I am humbled, and cannot help but respond. I bow down in awe to the Creator and give thanks.

We can't bring the grandeur of nature or the talent of a hundred voice choir into SPPC but our worship can and should bring us closer to God. 

For me, being present when the Word is preached, when the Gospel, with all it's grace and judgement is expounded, when the words "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life," -- when those words are spoken directly to me, I do respond to God. 

A recent choir anthem, "Wondrous Love," touched many in the congregation with its portrayal of the unfathomable love of Jesus, "who chose the cross out of love." A response to God, not the choir.

The larger catechism of the Presbyterian Church says, "It is required of those that hear the Word preached, that they attend upon it with diligence, preparation, and prayer; examine what they hear by the scriptures; receive the truth with faith, love, meekness, and readiness of mind, as the Word of God; meditate, and confer of it; hide it in their hearts, and bring forth the fruit of it in their lives."

Reading the catechism is not common practice in our day, but we can take note that the response to God depends as much upon the hearers of the Word as upon the preacher.

Perhaps another choir anthem, "Here I Am to Worship," provides an more accessible instruction than the catechism. The next time you come to church, remember . . .



Here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down.
 Here I am to say that You're my God
You're altogether lovely, 
Altogether worthy, 
Altogether wonderful to me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Alice for yet another thought provoking blog.

    ReplyDelete