Monday, July 22, 2024

Bloom where you're planted

 The link for this week's live-streamed service is here.




While weeding in my flower bed, I came across a vigorous little plant that had "volunteered" in a poor setting. It grew in soil that was heavy and didn't receive much water. It was crowded in amongst other plants, inhibiting its own growth and theirs.

I wanted my little volunteer to thrive, so I dug it up, with a good root ball, and set it into a different spot, one where it got light and air and water. 

In the way of transplants, my little seedling drooped its head, let it's branches brush the ground and generally behaved like a toddler having a tantrum. It did not trust the gardener.

The next day, however, my plant stood up straight, fluffed up its


leaves and took a deep breath. Now it is coming into bloom. At last it knows that the gardener's plan was meant to prosper it and give it hope.

When I watch the news today, my world seems uncertain and troubled. I worry. I feel overwhelmed. I am fearful. Sometimes I wonder if God knows what He is doing. But my little green plant reminds me that the Master Gardener has a plan, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." The quote comes from Jeremiah 29:11

The prophet wrote those words to a nation in exile. King  Nebuchadnezzar had carried off the leaders and artisans and prophets and nobles from Jerusalem and held them captive in Babylon. If ever a people were entitled to question God's plans, the Hebrews of Jeremiah's day were justified in their despair. Yet God did not leave them alone in their exile. He sent prophets like Isaiah. He protected faithful servants like Daniel, and, with the fall of Babylon to Cyrus the Great, the exiles were allowed to return to Israel.  

In their most troubled times, God was faithful to His people. 


My little plant cannot know me or trust me, but we know God. We must trust Him, believe His plans for us are to do us good and not harm. We can flourish in His care.

Ed. Note:  This post grew out a conversation with a friend. Thanks Diane, for planting the seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment