Monday, August 12, 2024

The Race that is Set

 The link for this week's live-streamed service is here.



I'm not big on sports, but like most of the world, for the past two weeks, I've been caught up in the Olympics. I've watched sports I didn't know existed, like kayak cross, i.e. mayhem on the water where the rules allow you to push, shove and impede your opponent. Huh? I've become very knowing about "sticking the landing" in gymnastics, and I've learned how ringing the bell in the Stade de France contributes to the rebuilding of Notre Dame Cathedral.

I've stood up and cheered when a Canadian wins a medal. I love how their smiles light up the stadium, my television screen, and my own heart. Joy is contagious. It is also a "fruit of the spirit" so spread it around.

In nearly every recorded interview the athlete remarks on the importance of family and friends in the stands. Those who competed in the last games where no spectators were allowed due to COVID 19, are especially grateful for "the roar of the crowd." 

There have been unexpected wins--men's 4x100m relay anyone? And there have been startling disappointments. A pulled muscle, illness, a rain-soaked field -- even with all their preparation, no one can assure a perfect performance on "the day." Athletes must compete in the event that is set, regardless.

The Book of Hebrews reminds us that God calls us to "run with endurance the race that is set before us."  (ESV) These words were written to a young Christian community faced with such determined persecution, they considered abandoning their faith. 

They weren't just suffering from a bad break on the day of competition. Their very lives were in danger because of their allegiance to Jesus Christ. Yet the letter writer exhorts them to keep in the race. He even reminds them they have their own cheering section in the stands, " we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses." Hebrews 12:1 

An Olympic gold medal requires courage and sacrifice and dedication and years of training, yet athletes consider it all worth while when they stand on the podium as the best in the world.

But the prize the Christian races for is not a bit of metal, however precious, it is a "crown of righteousness," and the invitation for the faithful servant to "enter into the joy of your master"  Matthew 25:21 (ESV.) 

While the Book of Hebrews encourages us to persevere, 2 Timothy speaks of the reward to the faithful.

2 Timothy 4:6-8  (ESV) For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

The Olympic Games are wonderful and exciting and mesmerizing. How much greater is the race that God sets before the faithful. Let us cheer on our athletes, but let us never lose sight of the prize for which we are made.



1 comment:

  1. You're a winner with all these. wonderful blogs, week by week, thank you. A sermon in a nutshell!

    ReplyDelete