The link for this week's live-streamed service is here.
September has arrived like a mighty rush of wind. The church calendar is filling up. Fall chores are calling for attention. Clubs, sports teams, organizations -- are all gearing up and calling for volunteers. Somebody asked me about Christmas just last week! There is a sense of rush and hurry and deadlines hovering in every conversation.
So, when I read these words, "I had to flip the narrative from ‘I have to’ to ‘I get to’" it gave me pause. Such a small word. Such life-changing power.
"I have to" is filled with anxiety, pressure, resentment, irritation, frowns, and impatience. It disrupts conversation, short-changes relationships. It replaces the beauty of sun-rise with the strident scream of an alarm clock. "I have to" is a destroyer.
"I get to," rejoices in the daily tasks, thrives on accomplishment, bestows happiness. When "I get to," friends and family are drawn closer, work becomes a pleasure, moments are filled with wonder and gratitude at the expanse of what I get to do.
"I have to" chases me into the garden with the clock ticking as I harvest the onions before the rain. I work furiously, with a scowling face. "I get to," lets me harvest the onions while filled with awe at the bounty of nature. I'm reminded of all the blessings in my life. The onions are pulled and set to dry in the same length of time it takes me when "I have to" but a smile replaces the scowl.
The Bible is full of verses reminding us to rejoice in the Lord, most notably 1Thess 5: 16 . But there are many other examples, Phil.4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord always" was written from a prison cell. The Book of Psalms resounds with hymns of joy. Ps 118 This is the day that the Lord hath made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. Ps. 100, Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Ps. 95, Sing for joy.
There is no shortage of Biblical references reminding us to be thankful but sometimes "Sunday" words get lost on Tuesday. Flipping "I have to" to "I get to," is less graceful, but it works.
If you are looking at your calendar and your to-do list and feeling overwhelmed, try thinking, "wow, I get to. . ."

No comments:
Post a Comment