Monday, March 12, 2012

Foster Child

   About ten months ago SPPC was assigned a foster child from Pakistan.  She lives in the Chakwal district, about 100 km south of Islamabad.
   Our foster child is fortunate in that she attends a school in her home town and will have the opportunity to attend a college for women there as well.  In Pakistan over 60 million girls do not have the opportunity to attend school.  70% of women and girls live in extreme poverty and are much more likely to be malnourished than males.
  Our foster child is 12 years old, lives in a brick house wth a reed roof about one kilometer from a well that supplies clean drinking water.  She has five brothers and a younger sister.  The family is Muslim and their language is Punjabi.
   Last fall the children at SPPC wrote to her, discussing their favourite foods.  Here is her reply (translated.)
   Hello, I am fine, and hope that you will be fine also.  I was glad to read your letter.  Greetings to all of you.  To Benjamin:  I was glad to read your letter.  I hope that you will be fine also.  I would like to eat pizza.  I like music.  To Norma:  I was glad to read your letter.  You pray for my health and happiness.  I was glad to see your picture.  You all sit together.  You all are sweet.  I would like to go to school.  I am fond of studies.  To Megan:  I was glad to read your letter.  My best friend's name is Hania.  Her house is near to my house.  It's winter season here.  I would love to eat dry fruit.  To Rebekah:  I was glad to read your letter.  I was happy that you remembered me.  It's winter season here.  I would like to eat dry fruits in winter.  I like music.  Good-bye
  
 Following Irwin's children's time with the tulips, the senior class at SPPC decided to write to our Pakistani friend and include drawings of tulips.


   "It's a small world" is synonymous with Disneyland, but the love and care of a Christian community can encompass our vast planet and make it a small world too.   Thanks to the teachers and children of our Sunday School for their ministry.


With thanks to Norma Scott and Diane Cunningham.

No comments:

Post a Comment