Monday, September 5, 2016

Endings and Beginnings

   
This weekend marks the end of summer vacation for most people.  Kids go back to school. Cottagers close up the camp.  Gardeners look out on bedraggled beds.  Along with the scent of ripe apples, there is a touch of melancholy in the air.  We've come to an ending.
     The best antidote for an ending, I've found, is a beginning.  While we may grieve summer, we're starting into the exciting new season of autumn.  The cooler temperatures quicken our steps.  Activities, dormant over the summer months, revive.   

  • Choir practice starts again this week, 4:00 pm on Thursday.  New voices gladly received!  
  • Sunday School reconvenes Sept. 11 
  • Worship committee meets on Tuesday
  • We have a BBQ on Saturday at 5:00 pm to welcome any wishing to be involved in our parking lot club
And that's only week one of the new season.

   With our church life returning to a regular routine, this might be a good time to remind members to wear their name-tags.  We welcome visitors and newcomers nearly every Sunday.  It really helps if people can read your name tag when introduced.  Even for those who have been around for a long time, it's helpful if you wear a name tag.  I may be having a memory lapse when I see you in the coffee room.  Or I may know your face, where you sit and what you take in your coffee, but never have heard your name!  That tag smooths the way for us all. If you don't have a name tag, there is a sign up form in the narthex.
   I confess, I do not practice what I preach.  I've a dozen excuses, the most common being that a choir gown doesn't play well with a name tag.  However, that is just an excuse and I resolve to do better. My way of greeting the new season.
   






No comments:

Post a Comment