Monday, April 20, 2020

Birthday Month + COVID-19 Challenge

Today's post has two parts -- the first is social news, the second is a Bible Study challenge from Linda. I hope you enjoy both parts.

April brings a spate of birthdays to the SPPC congregation The picture at the left is from 2018. Don't know what happened in 2019 and we all know there are no parties in 2020.

Linda celebrated by taking a long drive to get a cinnamon bun from her favourite bakery. She also received a piece of cake from her neighbour.
not Linda's cake


The clerk of session received a double present -- a gift card. She got to enjoy it the day it was delivered, and she'll enjoy it again when she collects on her treat.


Darlene got a cake from Joan and then had a social distant dinner with her son.

Rev. Irwin had his birthday over the Easter weekend, so he probably spent it putting together the Sunday service on youtube. The video effects get more sophisticated each week. If you didn't see the service for April 20, here is the link. http://bit.ly/sppcworship

Bill, the tenor, turned 90. We'll definitely need a cake for that when worshipping in person resumes.

Other celebrants include Stewart and Leona and Harold and Marion. I'm sure I've missed some, but if you have a birthday in April, give yourself a cheer and enjoy a piece of cake.



nature bringing us joy amidst the crisis



Covid-19 Challenge


Easter celebrations had passed.   Lent devotionals were finished.  What’s next?  This was my dilemma.  I knew I wanted to spend more time in Gods word and in prayer but was finding it difficult to get motivated.  So when in doubt I prayed. 

As promised, my prayer was answered and I found a great new Read through the Bible Plan which I want to recommend.  The plan is available as an app that can be downloaded on to your mobile device. 

The first reason I am enjoying it is that it is set up in easy to read amounts for each day, and the days are not numbered so if I miss a day I’m not always thinking I should catch up, which interferes with my time in Gods word.  The plan starts with Genesis and after each daily reading it gives a Psalm to meditate and pray on.  Hence, once the plan is finished, you will have prayed through the Psalms at least twice.
cherry tree in bloom

 To help the reader to get the maximum benefit from the readings there are videos on the themes of the Bible and each book which helps you to better understand what is being read.   The readings use the ESV translation which is   new to me.  I goggled this translation and learned that “it seeks to be transparent to the original text, letting the reader see as directly as possible the structure and meaning of the Original”.  I am finding that this difference from what I usually read is opening up new questions and thoughts during my daily reading. 

The app is simple to use.  As you read each day it records what you have read and the next reading is highlighted with the word “next” and off you go.  For example my reading for today starts with a Video on The Covenants, Genesis 16-18, and then Psalm 5.  I actually find that some days I keep reading as I’m into the story and want to see what comes next.

I love to travel and I feel like this app will make it easy to continue with my devotions where ever I may be.  Please consider down loading this app.  I feel you will find your goal to read through the bible will be easily accomplished using this amazing resource.

At present, we all have more time which may feel like a burden.  Here is the challenge take 15- 20 minutes each day and do something good for your soul.   

The app is available on the App store for free.  It is call Read Scripture by Crazy Love Ministries.   Have a look.
For Apple devices, the link is here.
For all others, use this link Covid-19 Challenge Easter celebrations had passed. Lent devotionals were finished. What’s next? This was my dilemma. I knew I wanted to spend more time in Gods word and in prayer but was finding it difficult to get motivated. So when in doubt I prayed. As promised, my prayer was answered and I found a great new Read through the Bible Plan which I want to recommend. The plan is available as an app that can be downloaded on to your mobile device. The first reason I am enjoying it is that it is set up in easy to read amounts for each day, and the days are not numbered so if I miss a day I’m not always thinking I should catch up, which interferes with my time in Gods word. The plan starts with Genesis and after each daily reading it gives a Psalm to meditate and pray on. Hence, once the plan is finished, you will have prayed through the Psalms at least twice. To help the reader to get the maximum benefit from the readings there are videos on the themes of the Bible and each book which helps you to better understand what is being read. The readings use the ESV translation which is new to me. I goggled this translation and learned that “it seeks to be transparent to the original text, letting the reader see as directly as possible the structure and meaning of the Original”. I am finding that this difference from what I usually read is opening up new questions and thoughts during my daily reading. The app is simple to use. As you read each day it records what you have read and the next reading is highlighted with the word “next” and off you go. For example my reading for today starts with a Video on The Covenants, Genesis 16-18, and then Psalm 5. I actually find that some days I keep reading as I’m into the story and want to see what comes next. I love to travel and I feel like this app will make it easy to continue with my devotions where ever I may be. Please consider down loading this app. I feel you will find your goal to read through the bible will be easily accomplished using this amazing resource. At present, we all have more time which may feel like a burden. Here is the challenge take 15- 20 minutes each day and do something good for your soul. The app is available on the App store for free. It is call Read Scripture by Crazy Love Ministries. Have a look. 
Use this link if you have an Apple device.   https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1067865974

For all other devices, the program can be downloaded from Google here. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.youmeforever.readscripture&hl=en_CA




Linda Cliff

2 comments:

  1. Wow! quite a lengthy blog, 2 for the
    price of one. Good coverage of the birthdays and a really good challenge from Linda, thank you.

    ReplyDelete