Monday, February 1, 2021

Search for Blessings

 The link for our livestreamed service this week is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBw_cyaoSZc&feature=youtu.be  

 
someone called the church to thank us for this sign.

     

  It's been a gloomy week. Grey weather, bad news on the     vaccine front, case numbers   climbing on the Island. Dr.   Henry's "do more" is met with a   grumpy "I already am" from a tired   population.

 

A bit hard to follow   Paul's behest, "in every thing,   give thanks." I Thessalonians 5:18

  Thinking on this I recalled that some years ago our Bible Study group did a semester on Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts. The challenge she presented was to record our blessings, great and small, every day for a year and try to reach 1000. I took up the dare and listed my thanksgivings every day for a year in a lovely leather journal, a gift from my niece. It was tough to get started, but once I got the hang of it, I saw blessings all around. After a year, I'd reached 921 on my list. 80 short of my goal, but the effect of practising gratitude every day, had a profound effect on my life.

   That was in 2014. Seems like a lifetime ago. 2020 changed everything. But it didn't change the Holy Spirit, our encourager, comforter, advocate, helper, guide and friend. John 14 So, with the help of the Holy Spirit, let's pick up that challenge to find three blessings every day (3 x 365 = 1095) even during the pandemic.

   I'll start. 


1. The daffodil bulbs have sprouted at the church. This is a double blessing not only because of its promise of spring and beauty, but because it makes Linda very happy to see the rewards of her work last summer.


 


 2. The amaryllis has put on a magnificent display of colour.


Another two for one. The flowers are a delight to the eye and the plant was a gift, drawing me close to my far away family and raising happy memories in my soul.


3. Jigsaw puzzles. They are a great way to wile away time while stuck indoors. There is satisfaction in placing each piece that fits. In my case, I get the pleasure of the cat "helping." Even as I pick up and replace the scattered pieces, I have to laugh.


Bonus: Writing this list has cheered me up. 

   I wish we had Bible Study so we could all meet and compare lists and draw strength from one another, but . . . Meanwhile it's great that you can use the comments section below to add your gratitudes. Go ahead and share. It will make you feel better and lift the spirits of other readers.

Open your hand to the simple, daily gifts, writing down all the unique and ordinary things you notice, from the grand and obvious to the humble and hidden. Praise Him for the unexpected and the unlikely, for the daily and the difficult, and the graces in disguise. The more you count, the more gifts you will see. Do not disdain the small. The moments add up, and we might come to believe it --the whole earth is full of His glory! -- Ann Voskamp, one thousand gifts devotional Zondervan, © 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment